Coordinates: N 52 7 58.0, E 5 21 57.0
The remaining original watchtower at the site, as can be seen on the commemorative place, was built around April/May 1943, when the expansion of Kamp Amersfoort was completed and prisoners could be placed there again. Kamp Amersfoort is also the only WWII kamp in the Netherlands having an original watchtower.
Amersfoort concentration camp was a Nazi concentration camp in Amersfoort, Netherlands. The official name was “Polizeiliches Durchgangslager Amersfoort”, P.D.A. or Police Transitcamp Amersfoort. The camp was situated in the southern part of Amersfoort, on the city limit between Amersfoort and Leusden in central Netherlands.
Kamp Amersfoort in 1939 still was a complex of barracks that supported army artillery exercises on the nearby Leusderheide. From 1941 onwards, it didn’t merely function as a transit camp. During the existence of the camp many prisoners were put to work in kommandos.